Thursday, 27 February 2014

More vignettes

While I know I said that I would finish that century of legionaries before starting anything else, I have been giving some thought to a couple of new vignettes. I have been doing some research into the commanders of Roman units in Judea and Syria, thinking about who might command my desert frontier vexellation. I have also been thinking about expanding the baggage train.

I was considering using Wargames Foundry’s Vespasian figure as my vexellation commander, but, in truth, he looks way too senatorial. Legio VI Ferrata had a hand in making Vespasian Emperor in 69 AD, following the suppression of the first Jewish Revolt … so I came around to thinking he could legitimately be present amongst his loyal legionaries. This also gives me an excuse to have Praetorian Guard units.

My research revealed that Turranius Priscus, a prefects castorum (Camp Prefect), commanded a vexellation of Legio VI Ferrata during the siege of Jerusalem. I have decided to have a couple of figures representing Turranius Priscus and a mounted tribune. While about it I thought to make a vexillarius for my cavalry commander, Tiberius Claudius Maximus.

I have a couple of spare eBob camels which I want to convert into pack animals. I just need to work out what sort of load they might be carrying.

Work in progress: Warlord Games’ mounted legate, Wargames Foundry’s Suetonius Paullinus (who will become Turranius Priscus), and a 1st Corps’ tribune with Warlord attic helmeted head and a vexillum salvaged from an abandoned figure.
Work in progress: A pair of eBob camels and a converted Warlord Games’ ritual sacrificial figure, which came with an alter (now discontinued). Another application for the scale rope, I think …

Wednesday, 19 February 2014

On the ‘bench’ …

With the completion of the Balaeres and the pack mules my work ‘bench’ is quite sparsely populated. I plan to finish this unit before beginning any others.

However … a delivery from Warlord Games has me keen to begin a couple of sculpting projects: pack camels based on a couple of EBob miniatures (which, you may remember, match Warlord Games’ dromedary sculpts … indeed, they were probably the basis for Warlord’s miniatures); and cloaks for my Praetorian guardsmen.

I am looking forward to seeing what I can achieve with these.
Work in progress: Titus Antonius Secundus’ centuria have the polystyrene workbench all to themselves.

Friday, 14 February 2014

Auxilia and baggage train

I finished the Balaeres and the pack mules today. I am pleased with how these turned out: in particular the Balaeres’ centurio.

The slingers are on very stoney ground … I was thinking of adding some small piles of shot … I may yet do so – see how the mood takes me.

The Balaeres.
The pack mules will join the ox cart as part of the burgeoning baggage train.

Wednesday, 12 February 2014

Basing continues …

I had a bit of time so I got on with the task of basing the slingers and the pack mules.

Two grades of sand, and two types of small stones have been applied to the Sandy Paste base. Once these are set I will give the bases a vigourous dry brush to lighten the bases overall, add highlights, and remove any loose sand and stones. Then tufts …

Work in progress: The pack mules …

Work in progress: The Balaeres

Saturday, 8 February 2014

Basing Balaeres

Three to a base looked too open … four looks a little tight, but makes for a more reasonable frontage of 360mm.

Work in progress: These took much longer to paint than I thought they would. I thought the lack of armour would make for a simpler and quicker job, but eyebrows, hair and beards definitely slowed me down.

Friday, 7 February 2014


The ebb and flow of self-employment left me with a bit of time on my hands this week, so I finished painting and shading the slingers. I’ll varnish them tonight, second coat tomorrow. I hope to have them based on Sunday …

Work in progress: Not too shabby … just wondering how to base these fellows – probably less densely than the legionaries, maybe three or four figures on each base …

Saturday, 1 February 2014

The challenge rolls over to February …

The end of December and most of January were dogged by domestic infrastructure problems, so I was simply unable to spend time painting. I have tried to catch up but I have to give myself a break and accept that it was not to be.

Work in progress: The pack mules are ready for shading and the Balaeres are nearly ready. The legionaries will be February’s painting challenge …